On with the ABC's of homeschooling. Now with the B's there is one entry... it is simple and profound at the same time. And still, it can be a blessing and a curse all in the same pod.
Books.
Let me say first, if I could I would single-handedly support my husband's job at Amazon.com with a constant stream of UPS visits to my doorstep and a warm cozy spot on the couch to share with our trio... ALL.DAY.LONG.
Did I mention I like books?
Well, in our home and our studies, I have always hoped books and reading came as natural as bread and water. That learning would be a lifelong pursuit, and an unconditional love in our lives. Thats a bit hopeful... but it happens, in handfuls here and there. And it lifts me up and seems to add a spirit to our home that makes me want to hang a bell above the front porch and ring it every morning and night. But as each thing runs a cycle, so does our binging on books. This is due to one fact... having a sufficient library. And that, we DO NOT have here. I definitely think a library could make or break a homeschooling family or community. Books are not only a form of research, and reading, but a pasttime, a hobby, a discovery of worlds, histories, and people. As well as, studies in the sciences, mathematics, and poetry. Without the resources of a good library I fear a child's visions of the world can be limited. Suffice it to say, I will share with you here a brief list of some books we have enjoyed...
-Little House on the Prairie including,
- Little House in the Big Woods
- Little House on the Prairie
- Farmer Boy
- On the Banks of Plum Creek
- By the Shores of Silver Lake
- The Long Winter (Fall 2010)
-Magic Tree House Series
-Frog & Toad Easy Reader Books
-Stuart Little
-Charlotte's Web
-The Chocolate Touch
-Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science Series
-Dr Seuss Readers
-Little Bear Series
-The Gilgamesh Trilogy
- Gilgamesh the King
- The Revenge of Ishtar
- The Last Quest of Gilgamesh
-Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
-A Child's Garden of Verses
-The Secret Garden
-Great Illustrated Classics (from thrift stores)
- Jounrey to the Center of the Earth
- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
-Mouse Tales
-Mouse Soup
-Best Friends for Francis, Bread and Jam for Francis, A Bargain for Francis
-Usborne First Encyclopedias
These are some of the books we have enjoyed reading aloud together, studying, perusing, and thankfully, reading independently. There is an unrivaled joy that comes from watching your child learn how to read, and knowing that you are a part of that as a parent each day. I am thankful for the blessing, opportunity, and privilege to be a part of my children's learning each day. I hope you are able to find and experience such joy.
I will be back with more...








2 comments:
Well, I have been away much too long! I'm loving all your tips and tricks, not to mention being accompanied by all your beautiful images. It looks like you guys have been on a permanent field trip since December, wonderful!
We love books at our house, too. When we go to the public library, I max out my card, as well as those of my children. Transporting all of them is no small feat. When I was there the last time, the librarian said, "Oh, look, the children's section is back."
We've read all the Magic Tree House books, the Fairy Series, as well as the Little House series--including Caroline's series. This summer we hope to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. They've got Pa's violin on display there, as well as preserved the house and furniture Almanzo made.
Hannah looks lovely in her new glasses. I always wanted an accessory like that. Even when I lied to the optometrist, he knew I had perfect vision. ;)
Post a Comment