Okay, so I was REVVED and ready to go! Well, that's what I said at 10pm the night before heading out to the peach orchard. No one would be surprised to know that I headed out an hour after I intended. But how bad could it be, really? With a high of 96 degrees in the southern humidity of Kentucky... who knew?
Despite all that, I was pumped, I was inspired, and... entirely too energized to go pick peaches. The kids were thrilled to wander among the trees... or should I say, under the shade of the trees. If they were lucky the peaches would just drop into the hands... or on their heads. Not once, or twice... but thrice!! Did this deter me, I think NOT!!
I was on a mission to find the most beautiful peaches. And just as I found it, alas-- SQUIRT!! I would step into a sweet mess of rotten peach. And yes, I had taken my shoes off... for effect I imagine. Well I guess I was granted effect on that part. And tell me, how many species of spiders are there among peach trees? Enough to make me wanna strip in wide open places believe you me!! And can I tell you, I sweat in places I didn't know I had-- OPPS! The TMI sensors have just activated... more info than you needed to know I'm sure.
Through it all, the sweat, the rotten peachy goo, and the spiders... I gathered a bushel of peaches (that's 40 lbs people) for $8.00. Now, 46 cups of freezer jam later and 4 loaves of homemade french bread... I am feeling truly domesticated. And I love it!!
Now all I need is 101 Things to Do With a Peach...









No comments:
Post a Comment