22 September 2008

Decorating Mistakes... OUCH!!

Okay... there was some show on HGTV called 25 Decorating Mistakes. I didn't see it, but a few girlies in the blogger world have been commenting on the goods and bads mentioned on the list. The Blissfully Domestic blog and The Nesting Place blog both shared some thoughts on this... check em out if you get a chance. Here's my take...

1. Fake flowers and plants (I confess, I have them. Now I try to update or add and subtract some each year. I HATE dusting them though... so I don't.)
2. Too many pillows, on the bed or sofa (How many is too many? I have three on each couch... but I have lost count on our bed... so what!)
3. Knick-knack overload (Okay, what is defined as knick knack?... This ain't no frilly doily house.)
4. Fear of color (Not my problem!)
5. Ignoring windows (Weeell... I like my oak wood trim though... I don't want to hide it... come on! Well the Nester at the Nesting Place blog is schooling me in this one.)
6. Pushed back furniture (Well I ain't gonna push it in the middle... good grief... it's like the Nazi decorators here!)
7. Tacky couch covers (I guess they were talking about clear plastic. My goodness, people still do that! Not an issue here, thank you very much.)
8. Frames too high (I guess the rule is at eye level... well at least that's the rule in my house.)
9. Improper lighting (We use the vintage chandeliers that were put in our house... uh... 75 years ago... but I do use lamps and uplights as well.)
10. Floating rugs (What the heck! Well we have carpet... and I for one don't think rugs belong on carpet... issue resolved!)
11. Too many colors/patterns (Oohhhh... I love colors though my palette is more guilty of number 14 below. Three colors... Red Miso, Latte, and the girls room is purple... Oh and no patterns thank you.)
12. Furniture that doesn’t fit (I think they mean oversized and too much in one room. Oh yeah! This is me... me all over! Have you seen my bed... our bed is the room)
13. Following fads (No thanks I make my own fades and trends... even if nobody follows!)
14. Everything matches (This seemed to be too much of one color in a room, everything being the same color... BINGO! BULLSEYE! CHECKMATE! Hello my name is... COORDINATED QUEEN! Sue me!)
15. Lack of traffic flow (That's a good one... especially when kids are running around... nothing like hitting the back of a chair... or the sofa table... every freakin' time!)
16. Uncomfortable dining room chairs (Uh... well I think they are comfortable... the seat is at least upholstered.)
17. Too formal (Uh... yep. Guilty. I can just see Lori... snickering over there...)
18. Keeping something you hate (Why would I?)
19. Lopsided furnishings (I may not be mentally balanced... or physically-I am pear shaped... But my home needs to be an area of some sort of Zen.)
20. Outdated accessories (I didn't realize they had expiration dates! Well I am good... within reason!)
21. Themes (I think this can flow over into outdated accessories as well. Sorry... I put the Precious Moments away... and the angels... and the lighthouses away... IN HIGH SCHOOL!)
22. Undressed cables (PUH-LEASE! Okay, girls these days prefer the undressed-barely clad look... and your telling me I need to dress/hide/disguise my cables? Next your gonna say my outlet covers ruin the mood of the room!)
23. Ignoring the foyer (Oh, I love my foyer & would never ignore it!)
24. Too many family photos (Not too many here. I would have more if I was skinnier though!)
25. Toilet rugs (Well I have them upstairs anyway. Wouldn't ya say my toilet is undressed then?) Now fess up… who has a toilet rug OR toilet seat cover?

Okay count your tally up and let me know the score... I'll be back... I may update while in Cali... well maybe! Toodles!

1 comment:

Sarah and the rest of the family said...

We used to have toilet rugs just to keep our toes warm in a house without central heat & air. Now we have 3 boys -- toilet rugs and stand up pee-ers are not a good combo. Yick!

Have fun on your trip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails