Have you ever wondered how to spend less money on food? Well I have, yet to no avail we find ourselves out to lunch (or dinner) at the end of the month. Well a dear friend has shared her secrets of saving money, time and using that vital storage of food we hoard. She has proposed spending $120 to produce 20 meals to feed your family (based on a family of 4). All this is included in a pocket sized pamphlet with a shopping list, task list and recipes.
How is this possible you ask? This is all possible by using a food storage staple... wheat. And making bulgar... or wheat berries from soaked wheat. This is a way to double the meat in what you eat. It also is an excellent way to increase your protein. Though, this plan is also doable without wheat.
So the plan... in simple terms...
She prepares and cooks lasagna meat sauce, spaghetti meat sauce, shepherds pie meat sauce, taco meat sauce, and sloppy joe meat sauce. Each recipe includes 3 pound sof meat and 3 cups of bulgar/wheat berries. All recipes are frozen individually (for a family of 4) in vacuum sealed bags.
Task List
Day before
1. Prepare bulgar/wheat berries by cooking in slow cooker
Day of
1. Purchase groceries
2. Cook all meat
3. All additional ingredients to make each type of meat sauce
4. Portion sauces into vacuum bags & seal
5. Stack meals flat in freezer
Not a wheat berry type? Use these tips to make your families simple sauce meals, and vacuum seal them in the freezer for simple and inexpensive meal plans.
As cost saving as this is... it also offers the perfect opportunity to begin a simple home supply of food storage, as we seem to be stuck inside lately with wintery weather here in the midwest. Saving money, time and resources in such a simple way will help prepare and support our families... and any woman's sanity!! Good luck with yours...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








7 comments:
So, my question is this? Witht he price of wheat SKY-ROCKETING, does this still make it cheaper ? That is all my mom (the food storage guru) can talk about. How wheat is the newest GOLD. It's so expensive and going to be so difficult to get. Are we running out or somehting? I dunno. Anyway, there is a woman here (married with 3 or 4 kids) and she googled coupns in her state (Ut) and she found this place that is amazing. They've also done a segment on this coupon guru on the news. She got that HUGE plastic thing of liquid Tide which is normally like $18 bucks for $ 3.99!!!! INSANE. She then left the coupon with me and i got 3 of them (me and my fam). So maybe google your state and see if they have a price match guy or a coupon guru there. Goodluck, love ya! P.S. I think I'm moving to Colorado soon. for a boy. hee hee.
Wow. That seems like a lot of work, LOL. But worth it if you can really get that many meals so cheap!
Wow...those are some great ideas!! Food storage is something I really need to work on...got some stuff from church on it but haven't really done anything with it. I really need to do that!
Aja, go look at my blog. Pay attention to the Flashback Fridays! hee hee.
I'm glad I could make your day! I was a little afraid that you'd be mad but, then i realized you'd know it was all in fun! Yeah, i think i had these on 35 mm film and didn't get them developed for several years afterward, which is why i never showed them to you. It was fun though, right? Was that who was in the pic with us? Wade? (with Tara). Didn't they get married? I just know she went on a mission. Those WERE the days! I miss you so much! I'm so excited you the new baby... boy right? and was wondering... how far are you from Colorado? Maybe we can come visit each other!!! Love ya!
P.S. My mom is the food storage expert and she just got the word that the price of wheat is about to go up even more (i thought $23 was sky rocket)! By summer, it is expected to be $45 (for a 50 pound bag) and by the end of the year $80(for a 50 pound bag). She is telling EVERYONE to go and get your wheat NOW! (I'm may even get a bag). The cannery is prob cheaper or search your area for wholesale prices. Okay, i'm done. Love ya!
Hi, this is Tara's cousin. The blog I went to is cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com. She has free downloads or you can pay her to customize one for you.
Post a Comment