29 May 2010

Laura Ingalls Wilder... at home on the Rocky Ridge Farm

I have never considered myself emotional. When I saw my mom cry because Rudolph couldn't play in the other reindeer games, and again, when Frosty melted... I knew I had the potential in me. As Hannah and I have read the first five books in the Little House book series, I have found myself intrigued, inspired and touched by the stories of young Laura Ingalls. And here we have happened upon the homes in which she wrote the books. Needless to say,... I was emotional.

The property consists of the frame home which Almanzo Wilder built, complete with all their furnishings. The Rock House, which their daughter Rose Wilder Lane had built for them... straight out of the Sears catalog. There is also a museum filled with pioneer artifacts and Ingalls and Wilder family memorabilia... with Pa's fiddle as the crown jewel!! Oh my... that snapped my heartstrings right there. And to have the girls there to see it... was a precious moment for me. We visited the book store while we were there and basked in the sunshine. What more could you ask for, to bring our vacationing to a close and as we begin reading The Long Winter  by Laura Ingalls Wilder this fall?! 

And now, I hope you enjoy our story... as it unfold here in pictures... 

1 comment:

Allie Thornbrue said...

Inpsired by your travels, I told James we had to start taking a family vacation at least once a year (not revolving around a stressful family wedding, missionary home-coming,etc.) This year it was a toss-up between Rocky Ridge Farm and Portland. We're headed west next month!

And, by the way, I sometimes latch onto past friends, homes and memories as well. I love to visit old neighborhoods, schools, and church buildings. And then I have to remember that it is the people I love that makes those places special. And the people I love the most are living under the same roof.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails