15 May 2008
To sew... or not to sew...
Okay so mom sent me a sewing machine like a year and a half ago and it still sits in its box in the closet. These are the genes I come from... mom sewed her first jumper when she was like 7 years old. As a child I remember she had her ribbons on the wall from projects she had entered in county fairs. Then there is grandma... a whole 'nother stitch in itself... who sews my girls doll clothes. Grandma mentioned once... "Aja the only other craft you have to try is sewing... as if to give me that loving push... as I crawled my way AWAY from that abyss... I find myself now circling that ever deepening abyss of trying another craft... and feeling my head swirl from all the jargon and technicalities that come with the precision of sewing. Maybe its just because I am pregnant... maybe it's a mother bears way of nesting before the birth of a cub... whilst visions of knitting socks dance in my head... maybe I have reached a new level of creativity... heaven I PRAY that' s it! Whatever the cause I find myself daily troubled by the reasons and needs I find for learning to drag the sewing machine out of it's original box and heaven forbid... learning how to simply thread the thing and turn it on-- or do you turn it on before you thread it? And if I don't need another reason to peruse Amazon.com for books already... the attraction of sampling the reviews of every sewing manual there is offers no relief... it's like an itch I can't scratch, or a color I can't find, or a word I can't spell. My only relief has been found in perusing and pondering those things I would attempt to create, via this sewing contraption. Those cute minky blankets with matching burp clothes, matching dresses with little boy tees... oh I can hear the words of mom now... when as a child she experienced the creativity and industry of her own mother as she was sent to school in a matching dress to the shirts of her three brothers. I have to say the patterns they have now... aren't your mothers... or your grandmother's fabrics... I must say. But yet I can see mom spinning from this FULL CIRCLE of grandmother, to mother, to daughter... and to think I could replace some idlesome activity of my two young girls with the industry and creativity of sewing. CRAP... that sells the idea alone. There is a splendid website http://www.loveyduds.com/ that has the cutest, insanely coordinated nursery accessories, that has thrown me off this cliff... now if I could just figure out patterns for such creations. So I peruse my way through http://www.fabric.com/ and learn that this may only be another maddening avenue to spend money. And finally, there is my first visit to http://www.etsy.com/... with a mastermind of craftiness for a hefty price... my only question after viewing the breathless sewing creations sold there... can I learn to knit and sew at the same time? ARRRGGGHH!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
You are SEW funny Aja...Sew...have you decided to SEW or not to SEW?
My sis is a wiz at sewing, I've tried it and am just not as patient, but I do love to sew on my pages, my mom was an amazing sewer too!!! (like me made up word?)
Post a Comment