18 August 2008

Nester's 'Mistreatment' Party!

Our Nester friend at the Nesting Place blog is having a 'Mistreatment' Par-tay today and I thought I would jump in on it... Now we are all familiar with the idea of window treatments... well the Nester has turned that all upside down... check it out...

This post tells of The Nester's philosophy of mistreating windows. As she says, "you know how designers throw around the term window treatment? Love it, but what I do to windows really doesn't qualify as a treatment. Hence, the mistreating. Here is her definition of the act of treatments versus mistreatments...
Mistreatment: (n). covering for a window that is quick, cheap and pretty. may or may not need hardware does not require sewing. a real designer's worst nightmare.
Mistreating: (v). the act of treating a window with dignity and respect without use of the following: hundreds of dollars, sewing, time, crying, divorce, child neglect..."

Now to share my own experience with this today...

We have a canopy bed that use to be our bed until we bought a king bed. It is just so frail looking to me... maybe it is because I love chunky furniture. Well I had curtains hung on its rails, and then we switched rooms to accommodate our bigger bed. SOOO I took the curtains off to hang in our other room. Big mistake... this bed should not have been undressed. Anyhow I had a few panels left over and I didn't want to have to buy more...sooo, I cut them... AHHHHH!

So here are a FEW of my mistreaments.... more to come though...

Undressed canopy...

So this 'mistreament' par-tay started today and I had a few glimpses of inspiration (thanks girls!) and I was in a frenzied fever cutting and tearing these rich red curtains into pieces. As my 3 year old looks at me trampling all over this curtains on the floor. I could just imagine the ideas going through her mind... I want to run around and play with scissors too mommy! So while on all fours on the floor with my curtains cut and torn into strips, I look up at her and say... "hey Sara Kate, look at mama... now listen, scissors are not toys... so I don't want you to try this okay... just paper my love." Okay mommy I WILL NOT play with scissors. Then with the same breath she asks... Are you playing with scissors mommy? Uh, no just fixing the curtains sugar... as I prayed with thanks that my husband didn't hear me say this. So with a few snips and tears this is what we have... a dressed canopy...

... ah much cozier!! NOTE: I didn't actually mistreat the window I can't bring myself to cover any of the wood trim in our house.


Then... this is our front door right in front of our stairs... if anyhow happens to knock and you are downstairs in your unmentionables... your crap out of luck cause there isn't any other way to get upstairs... well at least you don't have to invite and entertain them now... cause I am not answering the door. So my solution was to clip and hang curtains in the doorway to keep eyes out (oh and sunlight... I am quite the batling when it comes to sunshine). But wait... that is a 9 foot tall doorway and about 6 feet wide... whose gonna buy the curtains to dress that up... so we found this fabric clearanced at a closing sale from a mom&pop fabric store in Tulsa. It was a lucky find I must say... Psst!...The slate floor pictured above was designed by me and laid by my husband...
Oh and notice our wood pillars outside on the porch are blue in the third picture (look through the door)... not anymore though.... I will share more of our painted home in the coming days... with some mistreated outdoor curtains as well... I am in a frenzy now... thanks Nester!

13 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh, how BEAUTIFUL and so elegant looking!!! Your little one hasn't tried to mistreat anything yet has she? lol

kristi_temple said...

I love, love, love your floors and all that woodwork. Your fabrics are beautiful too.

Nancy said...

Your front door is gorgeous! I love the brown fabric you used. So pretty.

-Nancy

Lamp Tramp said...

Wow...what a beautiful home. And i love your mistreatments too! The waesome brown damask fabric....I'm drooling!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

Thanks for the idea. We have a door similar to this and after 5 years I have not found an idea I like as much as this one.

Thank you!

Jennifer P. said...

I LOVE complete strangers reading my blog. Not weird at all--how else would we ever make friends ;)?!

I also LOVE your mistreatments. I wanted to join in on the party too---but I have to finish painting the room the mistreatments are in. I got a little sidetracked this week :)!

And you have the most GORGEOUS front door! My friend Meg lives in a great old Kansas house too! You'll have to check hers out www.megduerksen.typepad.com.

Have a great week and stop by anytime!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Your woodwork is gorgeous! Wow!

~ Sarah

Bonita said...

Such great ideas and so elegant! Your home is stunning! I love that floor, the woodwork, the door, the windows, the staircase...love it all!

I always wondered about those glass doors so now if I ever have one I also have the solution. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful~ I so love your material!

Shannon said...

WOW!! Your front door/molding is AMAZING!! So pretty! I love what you did on your bed too!

Anonymous said...

Love the fabrics!! Beautiful.

Melissa said...

I love your slate floor and the fabric that you chose for the doorway! Good luck with the porch~I would get everything exactly the way you want it and leave the fabric for the last as a final touch if it needs it...

Jill said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I LOVE your entryway... the woodwork, the door, the floors, the stairs AND the mistreatment! Beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails