So what are sweets to you? Is it the old fashion candy store, like in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (original please!)? Is it a box of Oreos? bag of M&M's? soda? chocolate bar? When I imagine sweets I think HOMEMADE. Whether it's baked bread at home or a pecan pie at Grandma's house.... The picture here is of the gingerbread houses my girls had the chance to make with MY grandmother last November. Now... my sob story... I didn't get to make this with grandma growing up since we were in California and she was in Missouri. Grab my Kleenex! Okay now I have grown up (a bit) and I have made sure to enjoy all the comforts of home... that is, going back to my grandmother's house. And though I didn't get the chance to make these delicious houses with my grandmother... it was worth the wait to see my girls bent over their own houses with icing and old fashion candy pieces.
So SWEETS to me are what's homemade... are what memories are made of... making chocolate chip cookies as a family, the girls icing the cake, sharing homemade bread and candies with neighbors and friends. It's the thrill of getting fudge in the mail from Grandma... knowing it was made by her. It's the recipe book my mother wrote out by hand as a birthday present one year... knowing all our favorite SWEETS were included. So with this image I invite you to make your sweets meaningful... put aside the M&M's tonight... and bake some cookies together.
An afterthought... I still have dreams of visiting an old fashion candy store... like in Willy Wonka... it has it's own spirit of hand made candies and confections.








14 comments:
Hiya !
how absolutely beautiful was that! I am so with you! I love making sweets with my son. We often make cakes and biscuits and fun desserts together..its kind of become our 'thing'.
What a beautiful post and a beautiful family you have *smiles*
Pop by my blog as im hosting the next challenge.
Hugs,
Shannon :)
Wow, home made candies and confections! Looks really nice!
That is such a sweet photo. I just love those Christmas candy houses ~ remind me of Christmases when I was younger.
love and hugs XXXX
That Sweet house took a lot of work! I had 2 Grandmothers and never cooked or baked a thing with either one of them...wishful thinking for me!hughugs
I love how special you make baking your sweets, and the gingerbread houses are most excellent.
I'm afraid if I were to treat our babies with a Nanaw baking session, they'd use the results as ammo against me. :-)
Lovely gingerbread houses! And thank you for a terrific post to accompany your picture.
Beautiful houses, and beautiful memories!
Beautiful picture and story behind the picture. DD and DH made one together when she was younger and it was a very fun experience for them both to share.
I remember making those houses, too. Yours are beautiful.
I love making gingerbread houses at christmas. Great photo, and the house is beautiful.
What a great idea! I loved watching Willy Wonka when I was little. So Sweet!
Those are wonderful! I'm sure your family will remember each one. You are making a tradition!
This brings back memories of my grandmother teaching me to make her tea cakes. Very lovely post. :)
What a lovely story, and the gingerbread house id gorgeous. The gift that your mum gave you of the hand-written recipe book is just lovely. Gifts like that are the best!
Post a Comment